Pav Bhaji is a hearty, delight some, flavorful and hearty meal of spicy mixed and mashed vegetables gravy with fluffy soft buttery dinner rolls aka Pav served with a side of crunchy piquant onions, tangy lemon and herbs coriander.
pav-bhaji dish has a long history and it originated during the thriving textile industry business in Mumbai. the dish was particularly served as a fast-food for the textile workers and thus serving the required nutrients from the combination of vegetables. gradually due to the popularity of this recipe, it eventually turned out to be street food served in every corner of the street.
In Hindi and Marathi languages, the word “Pav” is for bread rolls. “Bhaji” means vegetables or a vegetable based dish (dry or gravy) in the Marathi language. Since both the bhaji (vegetable gravy) and pav (dinner rolls) are served together, hence the name ‘Pav Bhaji‘.
Make this super delicious popular Indian street food following my video and step-by-step guide. You will love this pav bhaji recipe for its Mumbai style flavors. I share the traditional method of making Mumbai Pav Bhaji.
Please note friends, that the best taste of the bhaji comes from using the perfect and best pav bhaji masala. I highly recommend to include your favorite brand or make your own homemade pav bhaji masala.
Street Style Pav Bhaji in CookerCourse: SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
1 Chopped Carrot
2 Chopped Potatoes
1 Small Chopped Beetroot
10 French Beans
100 Grams chopped cauliflower
Pav Bhaji Masala
3 chopped Onions
4 Pureed Tomatoes
4 Tbsps. Ghee
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp Black salt
- Take all the chopped vegetables – carrot, potatoes, beetroot, french beans and cauliflower. Wash them and put it in cooker.
- Add 2 cups water and salt as per your taste. Cover the cooker with lid and wait for 2 whistles on high flame. Then cook on low flame for 5 minutes more.
- In a heavy bottom pan take 4 TBSPS. desi ghee/ clarified ghee. Add 3 Chopped onions, and ginger garlic paste option. Cook till the color turns golden brown.
- Add tomato puree and add 3 Tsps. Pav Bhaji Masala, 1Tsp Red Chilli Powder and 1/2 Tsp Black salt. Cook until the gravy starts releasing oil.
- Blend the vegetables and add in the cooked puree.
- Add Butter and cheese cubes and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes. Consistency shoul not be to thick or liquid.
- Add a little butter on pav and cook it on griddle from both the sides.
- Serve Pav with Bhaji, Sliced onion and lemon cube
- Serve hot it tastes good.